Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Call me Jacob Picaso!

Call me Jacob Picaso!
January 24, 2009

First let me say that I am the proud mommy of a 17 month old!

My budding little artist has decided that his medium of choice is going to be paint. I have tried many things over the past month or so to keep myself and Jacob happy. Even though we are not getting any snow or bad winter weather it has been very cold and we are unable to get outside much (which Jacob loves to do). I have been very tired with the pregnancy so we have been cycling through our DVD collections, playing with balls, cars, trains, etc.

I finally wanted to pull my hair out when I decided to pull out the paper, coloring books, and crayons. I tried this a month or two ago and would get a single scribble before Jacob would lose interest and go somewhere else. Which is not a surprise considering his age. So when I brought it all out again I got a little better result. I will show the progression of how my son colors in his "Thomas and Friends" coloring book.....




First Jacob needs to take all of his coloring pages and spread them out all over the floor in his playroom, then for some reason he has decided that he can tap into his artistic ability better if he gets down onto his stomach to color.......and then VOILA!!!! A masterpiece if I have ever seen one!

However this week we went to a craft class for little kids and he was given paint and a very very big paint brush. I had never thought about paint for Jacob because honestly the thought of a head to toe covered boy running from me as I chase him with a washcloth and he touches all of my walls and furniture on his escape route just didn't appeal to me. But I have to say that HE LOVED painting. He spent 15 minutes painting (which is hours in baby time) and was much more controlled and focused on painting than any other kid in the craft class. He was also the youngest one there and the 2+ year old kids were more focused on painting with their fingers or not at all. I will definitely have to rethink my position on painting and try to find really good washable ones. But as with anything I risk the chance of Jacob loving painting in a classroom and despising it in the house. I have a few toys that were like that.....played and played in the store or at his gym class and could care less once I got them home.

Just so you know his paintings and Thomas crayon drawings will be sold at auction to the highest bidder! I have a college fund to think about!

1 comments:

James (SeattleDad) said...

Very nice artwork Jake!

Next you can think about giving him a brush and have him paint the house. That's what we are working towards with Lukas.