Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, August 23, 2008

There are going to be some changes!



There are going to be some changes!

(8/17/08 - 8/23/08)

Now that Jacob is a year old there are going to be things that change around here! For starters I am no longer going to post each blog entry with a "week". Now that Jake is a year old there really isn't a point in listing his age as weeks. I will however still occasionally throw a "months" out there for anyone who loses track of how old Jake is. The next thing that changed was his car seat! HOLY COW did he L-O-V-E having his car seat switched to forward facing. It was like the world had suddenly appeared to him and it was BEAUTIFUL! The look on his face and the grin from ear to ear was so cute that Paul and I laughed about it for a couple of hours. He honestly looks like he is proud of himself or something when you put him in his car seat now!

The next thing that is going to change is his eating. I am going to reluctantly start weaning him from breastmilk. I am very very sad about that because I truly love breastfeeding and feel that it is the best thing for my son. However it has started to cause problems and Paul and I feel that it is best for me if we start to wean him. I got in 12 solid months of breastfeeding and it will probably take me another month or so to fully wean so all in all I am very proud of myself. My weight is extremely low, I feel lathargic all the time, and honestly I can't keep up with his appetite anymore. And trying to keep up has taken its toll on me, he wakes up at night because he isn't full when he goes to bed and then all of my nutrients are going to him so I look like I am beat up all the time. Since he has been a 100% breastfed baby his bottle/sippy/cup skills leave much to the imagination, hell his food choices are even worse. Basically carbs, carbs, carbs, and oh yeah, carbs! My son loves Ritz crackers, cheerios, grahmn crackers, and these Gerber Graduates thingys that I can't remember their name. He recently became obsessed with hot dogs, but those aren't nutritious AT ALL. So the goal is to start broadening his food choices while lessening his breastmilk. He did drink a couple of ounces of cows milk this week so that is promising. If anyone has ever tried to wean when the baby wasn't the one initiating please give me pointers, I have a feeling he is going to HATE IT! But Jake was given a mother that isn't going to be physically able to continue long into the second year, so hopefully we will both come out of this without too many scrapes and scratches!

2 comments:

James (SeattleDad) said...

Can't help you there yet as we are still going strong with Lukas. He shows no signs of weaning himself but you are correct about the Mom getting drained and I definitely see it in Mrs. LIAYF. It has to be a healthy choice for both Mom and child.

We have not changed the car seat yet either, but reading this makes me want to. Sounds like he really enjoyed it. I bet Luke would too.

Being us... said...

The goal is to at least get him to morning and night time feedings. As I said in the blog, I don't want to wean, but he is a 26 pound 33 1/2 inch long one year old that I physically can't keep up with breastmilk alone! Hopefully it will work out!