Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Week 24 - Three letter bad word!



(1/27/08 - 2/2/08)


Week 24 - Three letter bad word!

Well Jacob learned his first three letter bad word this week. Actually Jake and I both learned it, and I have to say that it is the most horrible word in the entire english language and I hope to not have to utter it again for a very very very long time. I am sure you are wondering what this bad word is....well.........it's F-L-U!!!!

Yes that's right Jake got the flu and trust me it was pretty sad! Last weekend we went over to visit some family after church and had a great time. The kids were hanging all over Jake and playing with him and of course his grandmother was holding him for awhile as well as his Aunt Renee. Two days later I noticed one evening before bed that he felt a little warm. So I took his temperature and it was 100.5. I had been feeling achy that day so I just assumed that he was coming down with whatever I had so I gave him a little bit of tylenol and put him to bed.
That night he woke up every 2 hours coughing and his temp continued to go up. I too was getting sicker by the hour and had finally gotten a temperature myself. At one point around 2AM Jake's temp was 102 and he was very congested sounding.

We made it through the night and the next morning (Wednesday) we got up like normal....at least normal for feeling like you got run over by a truck...... But one thing was really worrying me about Jacob, he wouldn't eat. The one thing that you can always count on with Jake is that he ALWAYS eats. Luckily Paul was working from home that day and he could juggle his schedule and help out. I was soooo achy and feverish myself it was really hard for me to take care of Jake. All morning his fever was staying around 102 and at one point got up to 102.5 and he still wasn't eating. I put a cold cloth on his head which seemed to help a little bit but he was soooo tired, hungry, and achy that he just couldn't sleep and the tylenol was only helping a little and not taking his temp away.

I finally called the doctors office and they wanted to see him. We had an appointment for noon so we bundled Jake up and headed into town. When we got there both Jake and I got poked and prodded and they took a swab of Jake's nose and we found out he had the "Flu strain A" whatever that means. But of course he is too young to be on any medicine, but I am still glad we went. I kept giving him the tylenol and eventually by Thursday his fever broke. He still even today (Saturday) has a bad cough but is eating well, playing, and sleeping through the night (except for an occasional coughing fit).

And it turns out that everyone at the house that day ended up getting sick. So probably one of the kids was sick and then since they were all around Jake anyone who held him got sick. So poor grandma and Aunt Renee as well as the kids that day all got the flu, it was like a "prop epidemic" hehehehehehe!

I hope we don't have to go through this too often, it is one bad word that I don't EVER want have in my house AGAIN!!!!!


0 comments: