Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, March 5, 2009

The ever expanding Jacob Dictionary!


The ever expanding Jacob Dictionary!
(March 4, 2009)


Everyone kept telling me that once Jacob hits 18 months that he will start talking more. As of a few weeks ago we were limited to about 5-7 words and honestly a few of those he had been saying since he was around 11 months. Heck he had been saying BALL since he was 10 months old.

I am one of those parents that don't count "baby talk" as words. For example Jacob gets a bottle before bed and he calls it a "Ba-Ba" partially because I started calling it a "Ba-Ba" and the word just stuck, but since that isn't a real word I am not counting that as one of the words that Jacob says. Some parents count anything that they understand and that is fine but for the sake of this post I will only be counting words that Jacob says 100% clear and that anyone who would walk off the street and hear him talking would understand. But know that as with all babies he has a few "Jacob-speak" words that only his Mama and Dada would understand......one that is still stumping us is "Dat-un"....hhhhmmmmmm....maybe "That one"??

In the past two to three weeks Jacob has started adding words left and right. The most recent was today when he looked at a picture of himself and said "Baby"......I have been trying to get him to say baby for MONTHS!!! He also has decided that "Bubble", "Bye-Bye", "Ball", "Hot", "Uh-Oh", "Mama", "Dada", "That", "Bug", "Yum", "Book", "More" and last of all "G' Day" (we watch the Wiggles) are words that he can now pronounce.

I know that there are kids out there that may have a vocabulary of 20-30 words by 18 months, but he is very observant and knows many many many things so I am sure that if he keeps up the new words like he has been the past few weeks you will be reading a post from me talking about how he won't be quiet soon enough!

One thing that is very exciting is that Jacob FINALLY calls Paul "Dada" now you might think...HUH??......18 months and doesn't call his father Dada.....but what Jacob started doing is calling ANYONE Mama, He could say Dada, but if you were taking care of him at any point in time you were "Mama". If you asked him to point to Dada he would, or Grandma, or Grandpa, or some of my nieces and nephews he knew who everyone was, but in terms of calling them they were all MAMA!!!!! He is now calling Paul Dada which is one of those FINALLY moments we have been waiting for and something he could have done MONTHS ago!!!

As with crawling and walking, Jacob is yet again proving to me that milestones be damned he is going to do everything in his good old time! But as with his crawling and walking I am not stressing over the talking as much because I stressed over the crawling and walking and he did those fine so I have learned my lesson that Jacob is his own person and that he is going to talk circles around me soon enough! But it is nice to be able to have him talk to me more and let me know things!

3 comments:

James (SeattleDad) said...

Just wait, it will absolutely explode soon enough. And it will be so cool to.

Anonymous said...

not to tell you what to do, well i guess i am but in a really nice way :) forget about the whole comparison thing. unless the dr. thinks he isn't doing something important that he should be able to do, he will be fine. heck my 3 1/2 y/o grandson still says words that i'm like huh? mom what's he trying to say?? and i babysit him allll the time lol. he is doing great compared to my g-kid at that age and the g-kid is pretty freakin smart in a lot of ways. hope that made sense and reassured you. after all, that was my intentions :)

Being us... said...

@nonnanonsense - I am not really worried, he actually has been trying to repeat everything I say since this post. Most are completely nonsense jibberish but it shows he is trying and that is great. My mom told me I basically didn't say anything other than "Mama and Dada" until after my 2nd birthday. I guess like mother like son! Thank you for your comments I appreciate them.