Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Assuming can be hazardous to your health!



Assuming can be hazardous to your health!

(9/28/08 - 10/4/08)

First let me say that yesterday was Daddy's birthday!!! Happy Birthday Daddy!

Growing up I was always told that you should never assume……you know what they say about assuming…..don’t you??? But as a parent isn’t it our job to assume? I mean hey, these little bundles of joy don’t come with instruction manuals, and they sure as heck don’t get born talking to tell us what’s wrong. We assume they are hungry, tired, or bored, we assume that each cry means something different and we try to help them accordingly. My life for the past 13 ½ months has been about nothing but assuming! And for the most part I think I have done a darn good job of assuming correctly.

For instance Jake inherited something from his father that is definitely a family trait. He has gotten A LOT of teeth in a very very short amount of time. He was our toothless wonder until he was 8 months old. Then between 8 and 10 months (8 weeks of teething) he got eight teeth! Trust me when I tell you that it was absolutely horrible and our once sleeping through the night munchkin started NOT sleeping through the night. But who can blame him, I mean I don’t have personal memories of teething but it can’t feel good and I am sure it hurts a good bit!

We got through that torture and were able to get some good nights sleep for about a month or so before teething hell part two started. To cut the story short Jake is now working on his 15
th tooth!!! Yep that’s right…..13 ½ months old and has 15 teeth!!! But the worst part is that he just started getting this second round about 5-6 weeks ago….so if you do the math…..OUCH!!! Especially since it has been all molars and eye teeth, supposedly the worst ones!! But my motherly assuming kicked in and the homeopathic teething tablets, Motrin, teething gel, and Tylenol were always at arms length and seemed to be doing the trick……SO I ASSUMED!!!!

Well I am about to tell you how the age old adage of “You should never assume, because it makes a *you know what* out of U and ME” is absolutely true….at least in my case!


**SUSPENSEFUL MUSIC PLAYING**


In addition to teething I am trying to wean Jake so when he turned a year old I started mixing a little bit of whole milk into his formula bottle and hoping that he would at least cut out one feeding a day. He seemed to take to milk very well and even seemed to enjoy it and would on occasion drink upwards of 6+ ounces a day (trust me that is good for him). But for the past few weeks his night wakings have been coming more frequently and it had really started to take its toll on me. But ASSUMING that he was getting 6+ teeth and that they must really hurt, I just ASSUMED that it was wakings due to pain. However one night last week I was just baffled…..he was waking up every hour to two hours and was screaming (colic like screams). I had just given him a dose of Motrin about 2 hours before so it shouldn’t be teething pain….right???

Then it all hit me like a tons of bricks…….his bad night wakings, his poo diapers (sorry to get graphic), his eating habits……they all started changing since he has been a year old, and that is when I started to introduce milk!!! That day I rushed out and got some rice milk to just do a day or two test and VOILA!!!!! He slept 10 ½ hours the FIRST NIGHT!!! And since has only been getting up once a night for the past week. We are working on getting it down to no times a night, but hey when you go from 4-5 times and get it down to once you thank the Lord and don’t get picky!!

So the whole time I ASSUMED it was pain from teeth, which to my defense it could have been some of it, but it was also that the poor guy was having tummy pains too!!!!


I have added a new video to the top right!!!



1 comments:

James (SeattleDad) said...

Glad to hear you got that figured out. That could have bothered him for quite some time. Happy Birthday Jakes Dad!dricy