Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Week 49 - Can you say NUM??



Week 49 - Can you say NUM??

(7/20/08 - 7/26/08)

Well it is official, all of the comments that people told me over the past few months while I was worried about Jake not crawling were true. He went from taking two wobbly steps a little over a week ago to down right "booking it" within 4 days (which everyone told me would happen). So he is now all over the house, trying to climb the steps and is officially frustrating because now he doesn't want to sit at home, in the stroller, or shopping cart AT ALL!!! He wants to try out his new found skills of crawling even if in the middle of the grocery store!!! As a matter of fact he crawled all of the the local Staples last night because we finally realized that his crying was more disturbing to the other customers than him crawling around the store would be. Don't worry it was an extremely clean floor!

The one cool thing he is doing right now is letting me know when he is hungry. The past few months whenever Paul or I would feed him finger foods we would say "YUM". Jake has now decided that he is going to say YUM too, although his comes out as NUMMMM! So now if he wants some cheerios he will point to the container of cheerios and say NUUUUMMMMM really really loudly! It is really cute, he even the other day said NUM while pulling on my shirt to be fed....that one I find hillarious, cause I can picture it now being in the middle of church or something and Jake pulling on my shirt wanting to breastfeed and having everyone in the church look at me while he says NUM NUM NUM NUM!! Sometimes when he is really hungry he repeats it until you feed him which could be 20+ times if you have to walk any distance to get the NUMs!

Paul took a few days off this week so we researched local attractions that we could take Jake too, we found that there is a petting zoo about 40 minutes from our house (which is alot closer than the hour and 10 minutes the D.C. National Zoo would be. We went and Jake had a great time!! He got to see sheep, deer, zebras, camels, monkeys, parrots, horses, many many many more animals. We got to feed the camels and the sheep. Jake just absolutely LOVES animals (as I am sure most children do) so it was a great family outing!!! We will definintly go back every summer while Jake is growing up!

We are thinking about getting Jake a dog for his birthday (Ok Ok Paul and I would like a dog too, and are using his birthday as an excuse) but seriously Jake LOVES dogs, and even barks when he sees a dog since he can't say doggy yet!!! I just don't know what kind to get, we want something that is small but not too small, doesn't shed, and is good around kids........any suggestions???

4 comments:

James (SeattleDad) said...

Way to go Jake! Start your stretching now, because he will be hard to keep up with soon. We don't have a dog but had friends who had a bassett hound with thier young kids, and said it was a perfect kids dog.

Anonymous said...

I’ve grown up around so many different breeds of dogs, so I’ll give you my suggestions.

Bichon Frises are sweet dogs and they’re exceptionally good with children. They’re small and they don’t shed. I’ve had two and they are very loving and gentle. They both came from families with very small children and they got along just fine. I’ve never had or seen one show any signs of aggression. Grooming can be a pain, but these dogs love to socialize and they’re always playful. A bichon mix may also be a good choice too.

If you’re considering a poodle, I won’t say not to get one because they are very good with kids when treated right, but they are spiteful and they get jealous easily if they are ignored. They like to be with people all the time and join in activities with the family. These dogs are very clever, fun loving and sweet. I have two now and I had one when I was 3-7; I’ve had no problems so far. Avoid toy poodles, they are too small for children to play with, a miniature would be best.

If you decide to get a small dog that does shed you should avoid a Chihuahua, they are a one person dog and they get nasty around others. Herding dogs are okay with children, but some like the Australian Sheppard should be avoided unless it grows up with the child. Still, even though it grows up with your child it could be aggressive to your child’s friends and small visitors. I’ve known three that were put down because they attacked smaller children. Herding dogs are very protective of their family.

Being us... said...

Thank you Shauni for all of that info. I am going to take your suggestions and research those three breeds and see if there are any local to us. I will keep you posted on what we end up picking!

Anonymous said...

No problem. ^_^ Good Luck!