Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, April 27, 2009

Swimming and......BUMPS???




Swimming and.....BUMPS???


Well the past few days have been great and terrifying! Great in terms of having temps in the upper 80's and lower 90's, but terrifying because Jacob came down with about 150 red bumps all over his face,arms, and legs. With about 2-4 on his trunk (stomach and back). Being 5 months pregnant I of course freaked out (still am a little if I am being honest) and took Jacob IMMEDIATELY to the doctors. These strange bumps don't itch, aren't inflamed, and Jacob doesn't have a fever and isn't irritable. Honestly if you didn't see them with your own eyes you wouldn't think there is anything wrong with him. He honestly doesn't even know they are there and hasn't touched them in the 4 days he has had them.

The doctor quickly dismissed measles (DUH!) and the Chicken Pox and basically I got to pay a $20 co-pay for her to tell me that it was nothing and probably an allergic reaction. She said that most viral bumps/rashes, and of course measles and chicken pox will usually start on the trunk of the body and then move to the extremities and they will almost ALWAYS be associated with fever and DEFINITELY itching! All the things that Jacob DOESN'T have.

It is honestly the weirdest thing I have EVER seen. We are four days into it now and no new spots came up and they are now starting to fade into light pink and some are even disappearing. I still want to know what happened. The one thing that I am leaning towards is an allergic reaction to sunscreen. The reason I am leaning towards this is because 90% of the bumps are below the elbow, below the knees, on his neck and face....EXACTLY where I put sunscreen. The even stop at his sock line and don't go below onto his lower ankles/feet. There are a few stragglers but that is to be expected if it was on his hands. So since these bumps didn't cause any itching or problems I might have to do a "patch test" when all is healed to test this theory. I need to know if he is this allergic to something so that Paul and I can avoid it in the future.

So now that we went to the doctor and I knew that his bumps didn't look like anything contagious we went about enjoying the nice weather. I bought some organic all natural sunscreen that seems to agree with him (even though I don't know if the original sunscreen was the culprit) and we started playing outside in his new blowup pool. Jacob just LOVES the outside and is such a great kid when we can be outside. he would be outside from the second he wakes up to the second he goes to bed. As a matter of fact twice this week he has taken 3 1/2 hour naps during the day out of shear exhaustion which is great for a preggo mommy!!! I have been lounging and watching food network and other shows that I just don't normally get the chance to watch during the day! YEA SUMMER!!! BRING IT ON!!!! Just don't bring on more of those crazy red non itchy bumps!


1 comments:

James (SeattleDad) said...

Lukas had similar bumps last Summer, but with a fever. Diagnosed as Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease.

I hope you figure it out. There are loads of alternative sunblocks out there. We use California baby on Lukas. Works great.